HSQLDB (HyperSQL DataBase)
Latest version: 2.0
Added 2005-10-11Updated 2010-06-18
SQL relational database engine written in Java.
HSQLDB has a JDBC driver and supports nearly full ANSI-92 SQL (BNF tree format) plus many SQL:2008 enhancements. It offers a small database engine which offers both in-memory and disk-based tables and supports embedded and server modes.
- 100% Java; Standard SQL
- Inner and outer joins, SELECT queries as correlations in joins; Scalar SELECTS, correlated subqueries including IN, EXISTS, ANY, ALL
- Views, Temp tables and sequences; Triggers; Java stored procedures and functions
- Primary key, unique and check constraints on single or multiple columns; Indexes on single or multiple columns
- ORDER BY, GROUP BY and HAVING; COUNT, SUM, MIN, MAX, AVG and statistical aggregate functions (also in expressions and function arguments); Full support for SQL expressions such as CASE .. WHEN .. ELSE .. , NULLIF, etc.
- SQL standard autoincrement column support plus sequences
- Transaction COMMIT, ROLLBACK and SAVEPOINT support
- Referential Integrity (foreign keys) with full cascading options (delete, update, set null, set default)
- Can be used in applets, read-only media (CD), inside jars, webstart and embedded applications
- Java command line and GUI tools for database management
Built for Java
Free or free version available
Source code provided